Upon completion of this content the learner will be able to:
1. Describe the changing epidemiologic trends of infection.
2. List the stages of disease and describe clinical manifestations of each stage of syphilis.
3. List and describe the direct microscopic and serologic tests for syphilis and their application and interpretation in the diagnosis of infection.
4. Discuss the clinical management of syphilis to include treatment, follow-up, and partner management.
5. Describe the relationship between syphilis and HIV infection.
This curricular outline was developed by the Curriculum Committee of the National Network of STD/HIV Prevention Training Centers. This project was funded through a grant by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.