Upon completion of this content the learner will be able to:
1. List the common etiologies of GUD.
2. List the distinguishing characteristics of the genital lesions produced by different STDs, specifically genital herpes, primary syphilis, chancroid, lymphogranuloma venereum (LGV), and granuloma inguinale (GI).
3. Conduct the appropriate diagnostic work-up to differentiate the etiology of GUD.
4. List effective antimicrobial treatment for the common STD etiologies of genital ulcers.
5. Apply syndromic management based on risk factors and local epidemiology when lab results are not available.
This curricular outline was developed by the Curriculum Committee of the National Network of STD/HIV Prevention Training Centers. This project was funded through a grant by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.