Upon completion of this module, the learner will be able to:
- Discuss current incidence and prevalence rates of genital HSV.
- Describe the pathogenesis and clinical manifestations of genital HSV.
- Explain the application of current diagnostic tests for clinical practice
- Discuss the therapeutic strategies for genital HSV.
- Deliver appropriate counseling messages based on current transmission and treatment information.
- Discuss the relationship between HSV and neonatal herpes and the role of HSV in HIV transmission.
- Discuss the role of HSV screening and treatment in the prevention of neonatal herpes and HIV infection.
This curricular outline was developed by the Curriculum Committee of the National Network of STD/HIV Prevention Training Centers. This project was funded through a grant by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.